Electric blankets are a great way to keep warm during the winter months, but they can be a fire hazard. Follow our guide to be safe when using them.
How to use an electric blanket safely
- Buy brand new and replace it every 10 years. Look for the UK standard safety mark.
- Only use and wash it as detailed by the manufacturer. Don’t switch it on overnight unless it has a thermostatic control and is designed to be left on.
- Check the blanket regularly for signs of wear and tear. If the wires are no longer in straight lines, the blanket shouldn’t be used.
- Store your blanket flat; never fold or crease the blanket. It should not be used if it has been creased or folded.
- Make sure the blanket is fully dry after it’s been washed before you turn it on again. Keep hot water bottles and wet hands and feet away from your blanket.
Electric blanket testing
We are no longer testing electric blankets at our stations.