We’re sure you already know about the key precautions you should take, such as:
- wearing proper safety clothing to avoid serious injury
- maintaining your bike so it’s in tip-top condition
- and appreciating the impact weather conditions can have on your journey.
However, you may not be aware of the support we offer. Here you’ll find out about our fantastic, free workshops and learn more about what we can do to help you ride safely.
Our Fire Bike team provides free, three-hour-long workshops for motorcyclists (and those that ride with them) across the counties. These cover the following areas.
- Scene safety and management.
- First Aid (critical care).
- The science of being seen.
Find out more about what these sessions include on our Biker Down page.
For updates, safety content and to contact the Biker Down team, check out their Facebook page. Or, you can email them at email@example.com.
What we recommend for the road
1. A CRASH Card
We support the CRASH Card (or Green Dot) Scheme. This encourages motorcyclists to place a small card inside their helmet containing their details. The biker then puts a green dot sticker on the right-hand side of their helmet to let emergency services know the card is there.
If an accident happens, paramedics can locate the card and quickly find the rider’s medical history, medication details and a next of kin to contact.
CRASH cards are given out for free at many of the events we host. We're also happy to send these out free of charge. If you'd like to request a CRASH Card or a collection of cards for a group, please send an A5 stamped and addressed envelope to:
Motorcycle crash card
Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service
Clyst St George
2. The what3words app
It’s easier than you may think to end up lost on the roads. The last thing you need in an emergency situation is to be unable to explain where you are.
With the what3words app, you are given three words that can be used to describe your exact location to the emergency services. You can install this on your phone for free.
About our Fire Bike team
Our motorcycle team are here to help you. They encourage safe, considerate riding, the wearing of quality protective clothing and equipment (PPE), and the maintenance of bikes.
You’ll find the team at various events, distributing free CRASH Cards, promoting Biker Down and demonstrating best practices for riding. They aren’t judgemental in any way – they’re just here to support and help you to get the very best out of your motorcycling.
The team carry out rider training assessments every year to make sure that they’re still able to guide other motorcyclists. You’re in safe hands with us!
Our Fire Bike team cover Devon and Somerset. Our work in Somerset is largely supported by Somerset Road Safety, with who we work closely. You can find out more about them on their website.
Other events and campaigns to look out for
- No More Flowers/Pitstops. As we sometimes struggle to reach people, our team are going to place themselves at pitstops, so we can meet bikers and talk to them on the road. If you see us on your travels, come and say hello!
- Raise Your Ride. Our partners at Somerset Road Safety are sharing some friendly tips and ways to stay safe whilst riding. You can find out more on Somerset Road Safety’s website.