This tests the confidence of the candidate for working at height and while not physically demanding can be challenging. Candidates will be wearing full PPE, including a fall arrest harness and must demonstrate the ability to ascend and descend a fully extended 10.5 metre ladder and be able to dismount and remount the ladder from the second floor of a drill tower.
While wearing fire kit, you’ll take apart and reconstruct an item of equipment against the clock. This tests your dexterity and ability to follow instructions.
Here you’ll be carrying equipment of various weights and sizes over 25-metre shuttles against the clock – while wearing fire kit. This is similar to what you’d do on the ground as a firefighter.
You’ll have to cover the total distance of 550 metres in five minutes and 47 seconds or less. You will have to:
- Run out the hose reel for 25 metres
- Walk or jog back 25 metres
- Pick up and carry two x 70mm hoses (each weighing approx 15kg) for 100 metres
- Hold one 70mm hose at shoulder height and walk 25 metres
- Walk/jog back 75 metres
- Pick up and carry the 100mm suction hose and basket (total weight approx. 12kg) for 100 metres
- Walk or jog back 100 metres
- Pick up and carry the pump simulator, which is a barbell (weight approx. 25kg) for 100 metres.