1. Raise the alarm
Let everyone in the house know about the fire, shout and get everyone together.
2. Get everyone out of the home
You should have your escape route planned and everyone in your house should be familiar with it. If you don’t already have one, look at our page about escape plans.
Do not delay your escape to save valuables or look for pets. Smoke from a fire can knock you unconscious in just two or three breaths.
When you escape:
- do not attempt to investigate the fire
- crawl along the floor, smoke will rise and the cleanest air is near the floor. Smoke is poisonous and can kill you
- as you go out, only open the doors you need to
- if you can, close doors behind you. This will reduce the spread of the fire
- before you open any doors, feel them with the back of your hand, if they are warm, don’t open them. The fire is likely to be on the other side
- if you’re escaping together, stay together if you can.
3. Once you are out, stay out, and call 999 for the fire service
- Never go back into the building.
- Find somewhere safe to wait.
- If there is someone still inside, wait for the fire and rescue service to arrive. You can tell them about the person and they will be able to find them quicker than you.
- If you go back into the building, you will slow down the firefighters’ efforts to rescue anyone else missing, as well as putting your own life in danger.
Stop, drop and roll
[Background noise of a fire engine siren as the doors of a fire station open]
Alex: Hi, my name is Alex.
I'm a firefighter here at Crownhill Fire Station on Blue Watch.
As we haven't been able to come out and do school visits this year, we thought we'd deliver this short video on what to do if your clothes were to catch fire.
The three things we need you to do are:
- To STOP whatever you are doing
- DROP to the floor and cover your face
- ROLL three times each way until the flames are extinguished.
I will demonstrate this now.
[Alex lies on the ground and covers his face. He then rolls over and over sideways like a log to one side before rolling back the other way.]
Alex: Thank you for watching.