Follow the Electrical Safety Councils five essential advice points for anybody dealing with flood damage to their homes:
The ESC offers five essential advice points for anybody dealing with flood damage to their homes:
1. Do not touch any sources of electricity - such as switches or appliances - when you are standing in flood water
2. If your electricity supply is not already turned off, contact your suppliers for help and advice.
3. Don't turn your gas and electricity back on until your providers say that it is safe to do so.
4. Do not attempt any electrical repairs or connection of temporary supplies yourself - always use a registered electrician after contacting your supplier.
5. Get an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) done on your home by a registered electrician. This report will check the condition of the electrical wiring in your property. You might also want to ask your registered electrician to have a look at any electrical equipment and appliances that could have been affected by flood water.