Good fire safety management saves lives and protects property
Hopefully you already know fire safety is important, but just in case here are some fire facts to focus your mind:
- Over half of all businesses never recover from a fire
- Of those that do, half go bankrupt within three years
Keep it SIMPLE and safe
The businesses that survive plan their response to a disaster before it strikes.
This year’s main message this year is 'Keep it SIMPLE and Safe'
We would encourage all businesses to share the 'SIMPLE' message amongst your employees:
- Store stock safely: keep corridors, stairs and exits clear
- Identify alarm points so you can warn others
- Make sure doors are closed to stop fires from spreading
- Place things that catch fire away from things that cause fire
- Let someone know if you spot fire safety problems
- Ensure everyone knows what to do if a fire alarm sounds
Many businesses may recruiting additional seasonal staff in the run up to Christmas, or producing and storing extra stock. It's an ideal time to make sure everyone knows the ‘SIMPLE’ fire safety measures to protect themselves, their colleagues and customers, and ultimately your business.
A flyer and leaflets are available for you print off and display in your business premises to reinforce this message.
This campaign is coordinated by the Chief Fire Officers Association (CFOA). UK Business Safety Week is being taken forward in partnership with key stakeholders such as the Fire Industry Association (FIA), Fire Protection Association (FPA), BAFE and the British Insurance Brokers’ Association (BIBA).
We’re here to help. Make sure your business isn't the next victim of fire
Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service hold regular business seminars where we can provide you with help and advice to keep your business safe. If you would like to register an interest in attending or for more information:
Phone us on 0800 05 02 999 between 9.30am - 5.30pm Monday to Friday or email at firstname.lastname@example.org