Active Prevention Measures:
- Hay and straw should be removed from fields as soon as possible after harvesting.
- Hay and straw should be stored: -
- Separate from other buildings, particularly those housing fuels, agrochemicals and machinery.
- In stacks of reasonable size, spaced at least 10 metres apart.
- Separate from livestock housing.
- Petrol, diesel and other fuels should be stored in secure areas and storage tank outlets should be padlocked.
- Fertilisers and pesticides should be kept under lock and key.
- Refuse should be disposed of safely and on a regular basis.
- Dogs and geese can give effective early warning of intruders; however, dogs should not be allowed to roam freely.
- Prepare a fire routine and action plan and ensure that all farm workers know what to do in the event of a fire.
- A quick and simple survey will identify areas where an arsonist could strike. If there are certain areas you are unsure about, ask your local crime prevention officer or insurance advisor for assistance.
A survey may reveal the need to:
- Provide, repair or replace damaged fencing or gates.
- Install intruder sensors and security lighting.
- Maintain security of outbuildings.
- Replace or re-site security and warning notices.
- Maintain firefighting equipment in good order.